Insulating Your Attic Using AttiCat®
The AttiCat® Insulation Blowing Machine conditions the AttiCat® Expanding Blown-In PINK™ Fiberglas™ Insulation by breaking it up, thereby adding millions of tiny air pockets that give the material its insulating power. The insulation is further conditioned throughout the length of the hose. As the AttiCat® PINK™ Fiberglas™ Insulation bounces its way up to your attic, more and more air pockets are added, increasing its insulating power the entire way!
What’s your R-value?
Below are the U.S. Department of Energy recommended minimum R-values for your climate zone.
Your Climate Zone: 2
|Attics||2x4 Walls||2x6 Walls||Floors||Crawlspaces|
|Zone||2||R30 to R60||R13 to R15||R19 to R21||R13||R13 to R19|
Choosing the Right Insulation
Fiberglass insulation is sold in roll and batt form; both are available with or without kraft paper facing. Use the guide below to select the best insulation for your project.
- Composed of loose fibers
- Intended to be blown in by machine
- Easy to transport
- Must be cut to length
- Pre-cut for fast installation
- Preferred for new installation
- Kraft paper vapor retarder attached
- Use as first layer/new construction
- No vapor retarder
- Use when adding to existing insulation
Add items to your list, and you’ll be able to view, print or email your checklist when you’re done.
It is important to purchase a few inexpensive pieces of protective gear before you begin your project to keep you safe and clean while insulating.
- Face Mask: Fiberglass can be an irritant. Owens Corning recommends wearing a properly fitted NIOSH or MSHA approved disposable dust respirator while installing any insulation and while working in the attic. The 3M Model 8210, Model 8271 (for high humidity environments) or equivalent are available at most home improvement retail locations.
- Gloves and Goggles: Wear gloves, goggles, pants and a long-sleeve shirt while insulating to help minimize contact with the material and for easy clean-up and comfort.
Now it’s time to get insulating! Grab your bags of AttiCat® Expanding Blown-In PINK™ Fiberglas™ Insulation and head over to the machine rental department to pick up the AttiCat® machine. There, you will receive straight-forward instructions on how to use this innovative new system to start saving on energy costs in no time!